Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Infamous Strawberry Cake

When I was about ten years old my mother asked me to prepare dinner for the family while she worked. I was a little more than shocked to receive the phone call that gave me permission to enter the downstairs freezer. It was always locked with a key that was hidden out of us kids' grubby little hands and now I had mine on it. I did as she asked and placed a frozen pork roast in a pan, but only after I had made a creation of my own with a bag of frozen strawberries. The roast was raw and dinner was ruined, all except the delicious strawberry cake with strawberry icing. My mother was furious as she watched my father gulping down huge slices while asking why she couldn't bake like me. It has taken me 42 years to attempt that cake again, but I did so last week and it was worth the wait. The recipe is below.

Strawberry Cake

3 1/3 cups of flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of half & half
1 tsp vanilla
1 bag organic frozen strawberries

Mix all, adding strawberries last and divide into 2 buttered and floured 9 inch pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 min.
Let cool in pans, revert on baking rack. Let cool some more before frosting.

Frosting

2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons butter
1/8 cup creme
1/4 cup organic strawberry jam


No comments:

Post a Comment