Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Peach Perfection

There is something special about September, an excitement in the air ushering in a new season and saying goodbye to hot summer days and hello to falling leaves.  As always, I am rushing around trying desperately to get in all the must do's before the air cools, gathering up the fruits that remain of the season.  Peaches are one of my favorites.  They remind me of my mother, who was coincidentally born in September.  She didn't care for them because of their fuzzy skins and gagged when watching me gobble one down unpeeled or washed at the road-side stands.  She preferred nectarines, a bland, smooth cousin.  I would place a bet that if she had tasted the following recipe, I could have changed her mind!

Ginger Crust Peach Cobbler

8 peaches, skinned and halved-seeds removed
1 tablespoon turbinado cane sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Arrange peaches core up in 8 x 8 pan
Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon
Bake at 425 for 10 min

1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp ginger
3/4 cup cold butter cut into pieces
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
Pulse in food processor until grainy pebbles form

Add 1/4 cup boiling water.
Spoon over cooked peaches
Bake at 425 for 20 min.
Enjoy your last tastes of Summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment